Thursday, July 16, 2009

Jelly jazz


There was a jazz festival in our city last week.

There was a Latin-American Festival as well, and as much as we both like Latin-American stuff, this festival was crap. It had one hilarious moment though, when my poor husband was forced to dance bachata with hundreds of other women. The hilarity of our failure lies in the fact that the idea was to go for a romantic night out and dance dance dance to make up for my non-dancing knee recovery period. We only managed to dance together once. Very Machiavellian of me, so to say.
Not that we suffered that night, we had our laugh after the party! and... we know how to dance bachata now! Priceless :P

Anyway. The jazz festival is what I wanted to share with you, as its phenomenon doesn't cease to amaze me. This could be one of the best events in the city, providing... that there were good music played.
The idea for the event is great, namely to put bands in unexpected places, like train stations, city buses, shopping centres, farmers' markets, pubs etc. and let them play for as long as they want. What a genius approach. And all that for free all week long!
Perfection, isn't it? Except that the jazz bands are of average quality. And if there is someone good (by pure luck), they are usually playing in the most obscure places and at outrageous hours, like the Shuffling Hungarians who made my day walking along just outside my office windows on Tuesday morning.

I didn't manage to take too many pictures, but one of my favourites was taken during the first concert we went to:

It's not a good picture (I don't think I have to flag it up) but it was such a sweet scene that I couldn't imagine a sweeter one. Becky Brine was standing surrounded by candy and observed by a big statue of a bull built out of jelly beans. She has a good voice, and Ella songs didn't make me scream (as for Ella covers, it's rare). So I had my sweet moment of joy, and I really mean it.
If I can't have The Lounge Lizards, The Cinematic Orchestra or Skalpel playing for free under my window, I can always focus on jellies (which I love with a dark love that leads to sickness and sweet, sweet suffering).

0 comments: